A week or two ago I shared with you just the tip of the iceberg regarding what's been going on at the Smithsonian's American history museum, which has become a parody of wokeism under the influence of the crazy people in charge.
Brandon Gill, the 32-year-old U.S. congressman from Texas, just confronted the museum's director, Anthea Hartig, in an exchange you may have seen, and it was a bloodbath.
Gill is very good at this. He keeps making life difficult for crazy people who never expect to have to answer for their craziness. (I was happy to note that he follows me on X.)
What makes him especially effective is (1) his team has done the research and has the receipts, and (2) he delivers all his remarks deadpan, and never loses his cool. That latter quality makes his comments land with particular effectiveness.
Thus if a witness attempts to claim to be unfamiliar with a particular item he's quoting, he innocently notes -- again, completely deadpan -- that he has it right here with him if that would help.
Here's what his questioning of Anthea Hartig looked like:
Gill: Would you say that the goal of history is to be objective?
Hartig: Thank you, sir, for the question. You know, I think that there are many goals of history. And certainly as you collect, as we do, examine evidence, create objectivity --
Gill:One of the goals of history.
Hartig: We strive to be objective and nonpartisan and not based on any ideology.
Gill: It's one of the goals. Doesn't that seem a little bit concerning? It certainly does to me, because as part of this white supremacy document that your organization has promoted, objectivity is a core and defining aspect of "white supremacy culture." Do you think that it's the goal of the Smithsonian Institution to promote white supremacy culture?
Hartig: Sir, do you mind sharing with me which document --
Gill: White supremacy culture, right here. This is part of the mass action toolkit that your organization has promoted for several years now under your leadership. Are you promoting a white supremacy culture at the Smithsonian?
Hartig: Am I promoting...
Gill: Ma'am, is this a difficult question?
Hartig: No, sir. I'm just thinking about the mass action toolkit. We didn't develop it. But back to your question. No, we're not promoting any ideology.
Gill: Does it concern you that your goal is objectivity? One of your goals is objectivity. And your mass action toolkit references objectivity as a defining characteristic of white supremacy culture.
Hartig: It's not our toolkit.
Gill: It is your toolkit. You've been promoting it for quite some time.
Hartig: We did not come up with the toolkit, sir.
Gill: But you've been promoting it.
Hartig: It is used as a reference, I believe probably in 2019, 2020.
Gill: Yes. Under your leadership it has been used as a reference.
Is Mickey Mouse racist?
Hartig: Mickey Mouse is not racist.
Gill: It's not racist. According to the Smithsonian Institution, one of your exhibits referenced Mickey Mouse as representing "vestiges of longstanding traditions of blackface minstrelsy." Would you describe that as racist?
Hartig: No. The historical trajectory of the origins of Mickey Mouse tied directly.
Gill: To Mickey Mouse is rooted in racism. Is that your testimony?
Hartig: Sure. It's rooted in minstrelsy.
Gill: You don't think that blackface minstrelsy is racist?
Hartig: It certainly has obvious racial overtones that have been well documented.
Gill: I think that that's problematic, that Mickey Mouse also has those racial overtones.
Hartig: It's not for me to determine what's problematic. It's determined to me what's accurate.
Gill: Oh, is that right?
Is it important to be polite?
Hartig: Excuse me, sir?
Gill: Is it important to be polite?
Hartig: Yes, sir.
Gill: It's also interesting, because the same mass action toolkit that your organization has been promoting references politeness as a defining characteristic of "white supremacy culture." Ma'am, are you a white supremacist?
Hartig: No, sir.
Gill: You're not. Can you help me square why your organization says that being polite is part of being a white supremacist?
Hartig: I'm not exactly familiar with that passage of the mass action toolkit, which is not --
Gill: I can show you the --
Hartig: -- a passage we developed --
Gill: Here.
Hartig: I don't. Pardon me.
Gill: I said, I just read you the passage from it.
Hartig: And then your question was, sir.
Gill: We're going to move on. What is what is "Latina power"?
Hartig: Latina power would be the forces derived from being a Latina.
Gill: Do you think that it's appropriate for the Smithsonian Institution to sell "Latina power" paraphernalia -- hats, mugs, other things that say "Latina power"?
Hartig: I believe that the merchandise our store sells --
Gill: I'm asking you if it's appropriate.
Hartig: -- tries to reflect the richness of the communities --
Gill: So your testimony is that it is appropriate.
Hartig: Those are your words, sir.
Gill: I'm asking you, is it appropriate to sell "Latina power" paraphernalia? It's a yes-or-no question.
Hartig: I don't have control over what is --
Gill: I'm asking you if it's appropriate. I didn't ask you if you have control over it.
Hartig: Is it appropriate, sir?
Gill: Yes or no?
Hartig: Again, we strive to represent all Americans and including --
Gill: Is it appropriate, yes or no?
Hartig: We strive to represent all Americans in our museums, including in our merchandise.
Gill: Is that right? My time's up.
One drawback to reading instead of watching: you can see hints of a smile from Gill from time to time, as if he knows he's sticking the knife in, in public, and frankly I think sometimes he's trying not to laugh.
Mitt Romney never questioned anyone like that in the Senate, that's for sure.
Tom Woods
P.S. I mentioned yesterday that we're about to kick off a four-week masterclass for my audience called "The $100 Medicine Cabinet" -- the perfect antidote to our doctor- and drug-obsessed culture.
Over four live sessions (the recordings are yours forever), Sarah Thompson will walk you through the real, everyday stuff: colds, coughs, fevers, sore throats, teething, and the classic earache; then the playground casualties -- cuts and scrapes, bumps and bruises, burns, sprains, insect stings, poison ivy, splinters, and the goose-egg on the forehead.
She'll cover which remedies to keep on hand, how to match them to what you're actually seeing, and how much to give and how often. You'll even get her buying guide and shopping list, a remedy reference by symptom, and her "magic potion" topical recipes.
Maybe the most valuable part: she'll teach you to tell instantly when something is yours to handle at home and when it's legitimately time to worry -- so you can stay calm and competent at 2 a.m. instead of pacing the floor.
You build a working medicine cabinet for about a hundred bucks that lasts essentially forever, and you keep the skill for life. Sure beats what you'll hear from our doctor- and drug-obsessed society.
Sarah has been part of my communities for years (you'll also see her aboard the Tom Woods Cruise next month) and has helped a bunch of my people, my wife included, with their health. I am certain you will love her.
We're starting early next week, but as usual for these masterclasses, our early-bird special is in effect starting right now until the day before our July 28 kickoff. I love and wish to reward you wonderful early birds, so the early-bird special gets you two-thirds off the price.
Join us for this important event (and the recordings are yours forever if you can't attend live):
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home