View in browser
Let's contemplate for a moment what this chart means:
Most Danish politicians right now disagree that it is all right for economic inequality to rise as long as everyone gets richer.

So their principle is: even if everyone gets richer, economic inequality cannot rise.

This is a recipe for stagnation, obviously, but there's much more to it than that.

If your income doubles, but mine increases by two and a half times, you are not negatively affected in any way -- except by means of the mental anguish that my extra increase may cause you, but if good news for me causes you mental anguish you deserve zero consideration anyway.

Some people constantly innovate, and when their innovations pass the market test (which means they improve our lives to an extent that we're willing to pay for them at a profit-generating price) they enjoy a windfall. Others are very happy just to do what they're told every day, and have neither the mind nor the appetite for innovation.

The result of this perfectly benign difference will be economic inequality. These people do not want that, even if it means no innovation.

I know libertarians who want to give the left the benefit of the doubt in these situations. They will say: some people came by their wealth via dishonorable means -- by state subsidy or redistribution of some kind. That is perfectly true, and it has precisely nothing to do with how a leftist thinks. A clean capitalism with no state involvement would still result in "inequality," so they would still oppose it.

Let's be blunt here: if your financial position improves every year, yet you can't stop thinking about your neighbor whose position improves even more, then you are a bad person. No policy inspired by your vices should ever be implemented.

Here's how I teach this to my kids: if you obsess over your friend's success, you are aiming your attention at the one thing you can't control and
shouldn't care about, except to congratulate that friend.

Meanwhile, I tell them, the question that is yours to answer -- am I further along than I was a year ago? -- goes unasked.

Now here's why our base nature wants to avoid that question: it puts us on the hook. 
Your neighbor's success is his doing. Your own stagnation is yours.

Now let's focus, because we're nearly down to the final 90 days of the year.

Somewhere around January you may have had a picture of who you'd be by now. And if you're honest, the year got away from you -- not because you're a bad person but, well, because of life.

Most people respond to that by writing the year off: wait until January, start fresh, new leaf, the whole thing.


I am making the opposite case. You and I still have 90 days. That's a full quarter, enough time to accomplish something you'd be genuinely proud of, if you approached it deliberately instead of letting it dissolve like the last nine months did.

Maybe it's something you thought you needed a full year for. I'm telling you: you can achieve it in these 90 days, and you and I will do it together, in what I call The Final 90.

Tomorrow I'm going to reveal what my own Final 90 goal is. It's nothing you're expecting. And you'll see how serious I am about accomplishing this alongside you: I made a crazy purchase to make sure I don't falter while I'm in Denver two weeks from now with my Elite Mastermind guys.

Let the losers whine about other people getting richer. Let's you and I remember the wisdom of Albert Jay Nock: the one person on this earth you can improve is yourself.

We have 90 days. Let's go:

 
 

Tom Woods




 






This email was sent to dianaaudrey@gmail.com
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Tom Woods · PO Box 701447 · Saint Cloud, FL 34770 · USA